Augment Ventures March 2020 Newsletter
Augment Lesson #1: Pitch Perfect
What makes a pitch a perfect pitch?
We asked our Managing Director, Sonali Vijayavargiya to share with us her best advice for entrepreneurs looking to raise funds. Check out what she believes makes the founders successful:
- Keep it simple. New ideas and decks are constantly being thrown at venture capitalists. What makes your pitch different from the pack? Keep your pitch crisp, concise and digestible. No matter how complex the idea, it’s imperative that it can be explained to any individual outside your field or domain of expertise. Less is more!
- Play to your strengths. What does your team do well? Subject Matter Experts? Unique Idea? New Design? Execution Leadership? Shout your key differentiator from the rooftops. Explain the moat you have created or are creating to keep competition from catching up.
- Know the numbers. The ability to lock down early-stage funding may not require complex financial modeling, but metrics are still key. Understand and calculate the addressable market, market share and and market value within your target segment. Be a KPIs Ninja – Key Performance Indicators are important.
- Don’t just sell the product, sell yourself and your team. Storytelling is critical. VCs are not only investing in your idea, they’re investing in you and your team. VCs are looking for long-term relationships that will remain positive and viable.
- Make your ask. Articulate your ask – clearly, precisely and boldly. Recognize that VCs have an extensive rolodex in addition to their checkbooks. State your ask both for dollars and expertise – technical and managerial.
In the News
Aperia Technologies | HDT Announces Top 20 Products for 2020 | Heavy Duty Trucking
Crowdz | After $5.5M funding from Barclays, this fintech startup launches InvoiceXchange to allow SMEs to auction unpaid invoices for dollars | Tech Startups
LARQ | The best water filter bottles for traveling: Portable clean water is a must-pack item | Mashable (Use discount code “augment20” to get 20% off your LARQ Bottle.)
Coronavirus: The Black Swan of 2020
Sequoia founders and CEOs offer guidance and expertise on how to ensure the health of their business while dealing with potential business consequences of the spreading effects of the coronavirus.View the letter here.